Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A time to reflect

I've been back home for a few days and I've now had the opportunity to decompress and get over my jet lag. I think now is a good opportunity for me to look back on my adventure while everything is still fresh in my mind and reflect what it meant for me to travel to a country so far and so foreign that it is literally on the other side of the world from everything I've ever known. Here's my list, take it for what it's worth:

  • Laughter is universal.
  • So is smiling.
  • Saying "Hello" in english will make a group of school kids' day... in Japan.
  • Nonverbal communication can be just as good in a pinch. I played many a game of charades for directions or information. 
  • Don't buy new shoes before a trip. I paid for it with pain the rest of the time I was there.
  • Pack less than what you think you need. I used about half the clothes I took. In fear of not having enough, I had too much. This goes for photography equipment as well.
  • The Japanese people really are that nice and helpful. 
  • An iPad is not as good as a laptop. Don't get me wrong, I love my iPad and it's great at what it does (web, email, games, video) but my experiment to use it as a laptop replacement failed miserably. It took me three times longer to edit images and post to my blog and did not have the capability to recover my corrupted card.
  • Business is business wherever you go. The rules may be slightly different each place you go but for the most part it boils down to trust and making the customer feel appreciated and happy. Under-promise and Over-deliver.
  • Pride: In your country, in your family, in your job, in your team... in everything. I would walk into Family Mart (convenience store) and be greeted to sounds of cheer and appreciation that I chose their store to shop in. ♫ Sumimasen ♫. There were many escalators that were off, the subway was hot, the lights on the Rainbow Bridge weren't lit and many other examples of energy conservation, all out of respect to the earthquake and tsunami crisis.
  • No trash cans AND no litter? How can this be? When you go to to Japan, you'd be hard pressed to find trash cans anywhere. At the same time, you'd be hard pressed to find litter either. Pride in your country. There were several occasions where I saw folks picking up trash that was not their own.
  • Fight for what you believe in. You may never get another opportunity.
  • Did I say smile? : ) Works every time.
Thanks for joining me on my journey!

Tony Llerena

PS - If you've enjoyed reading my blog, please let me know what your favorite part has been either here or on facebook. I still have a lot of images that I'm editing and I'm trying to figure out the best way to put them out for everyone to enjoy.