Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 10 - Kampai Nippon

On our final full day in Japan, our group began the day with a trip to a sake brewery. Unfortunately, we made the trip out but were not allowed to actually see the brewing process. However, we were able to visit the museum and sample some fine sake.









One of the things that I find most interesting about Japanese culture, but more specifically advertising, is that everything is laden with cartoon characters. I've found that it doesn't matter the age group of the target audience, there will be some cartoon character or caricature involved.





The big event of the day was the visit to the Imperial Palace. Kyoto was actually the original capital of Japan before the emperor moved it to Tokyo over 100 years ago. The first thing you notice when you enter the palace grounds is that the compound is HUGE. I fell in love with all of the roofs on the temples and palaces. They are extremely intricate and ornate and I can only guess how long it takes to create one of these masterpieces.








Walking through the palace was wonderful. I loved the colors and textures of the buildings. Many temples in Kyoto are painted orange for good luck.





This is one of the gates to get into the palace. You can see how much care was put into every singe structure.


The devil's in the details.











I got lucky that this crane didn't fly away before I could get a shot. He wasn't camera shy since there were at 14 other people trying to get a picture at the same time.














Our day finished with a wonderful dinner in the heart of Kyoto. I can't believe that one of the things I'm going to miss about Japan is the food. Who knew? :)

- Tony Llerena Photography

Please stop reading. This section is for my family.

JETJNB - DCWTCHAGYP! ILY
DEL - ICWTSY! ILY