Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 5 - Sayonara Gambare

Today was a VERY early day for us. We went down to the Tsukiji fish market at 4:30 am in hopes of being among the 140 visitors they allowed in to see the fish auction. The Tsukiji fish market is the biggest wholesale fish and seafood market in the world. Unfortunately, we found out that they were no longer allowing visitors to view the auction after the March 11 earthquake. The bad news was quickly dashed by taking a tour of the surrounding marketplace where all of the little shops were. We stopped into a sushi restaurant for breakfast, which I was extremely apprehensive about since I'd never tried raw fish before.

Hi, my name is Tony, I'm one of the pickiest eaters you'll ever meet... well, I guess not any more. :) I had two different cuts of tuna and one piece of salmon along with a couple of "egg temples." They were all pretty great. The salmon was a little chewier than I would have liked but I survived. We had a free morning before our final business visit to American Express.

I really enjoyed the AmEx visit. The staff treated us as they would executives and gave an excellent overview on Japanese consumer credit behavior. Making purchases using mobile phones in Japan is HUGE, so much so that it has been difficult for me to find a store that accepts regular credit or debit cards.

After AmEx, we headed over to McDonalds to try a MEGA Mac. It's very much like a regular Big Mac except it's MEGA!! During the afternoon, we visited the Tokyo Museum which had many interesting relics and displays.








This was a kid's sized samurai outfit I came across. Does this mean they used to let kids fight with swords? I barely let my kids play with kid's scissors!! :)








This little guy had a sign that said "do not take his picture." I felt like they were trying to use reverse psychology so I did.








All of the item descriptions were in Japanese so I must apologize as to why I'm not describing them in detail. Just enjoy them and move along, like I did.


We tried getting tickets to a Sumo Match but they were sold out. Here's a picture of two Sumo wrestlers hugging instead.


Our next stop was the Asakusa district which houses many shops and some spectacular temples. It was quite busy for a Friday evening so we didn't stay long. We wanted to head over to Odaiba before sunset.





Here's the view of the Statue of Liberty, Rainbow Bridge and Tokyo Tower. Unfortunately, the bridge was not lit up but we believe this is in respect to the earthquake and tsunami victims.


I finished the day with an absolutely amazing avocado burger at an eatery in Odiaba. Yes, it is is possible to have too much Japanese food. Variety is the spice of life!


- Tony Llerena Photography

Please stop reading. This section is for my family.

JETJNB - O7DLUICH! ILYG
DEL - ICWTCHATYAAMT !ILYAMYVM