Saturday, May 7, 2011

Suitable for children of all ages

So I have a confession to make. I'm going to let you in on my little secret for photographing children. Here it goes. The secret is... the child is in charge. I have little to no control over what they do or where they go. I most certainly can't make a 2 week old nap on cue or a 3 year old stay still and smile.

When photographing any young child you have to get to know them first. They need to trust you. In most cases, I'm meeting the child for the first time. Children shoots usually go one of two ways. The first type is where the child is very shy and won't really take guidance or smile for about the first half hour until he/she/they warm up and begin to trust you. The second type is where the child is extremely happy and cooperative to start for the first half hour and slowly start to get a little cranky.

I have several techniques that I use to keep a child involved and more importantly interested in me. One technique is to find something they want to do it and follow them, even participate. This builds trust.

Having three children myself, I've got tons of experience with little ones and I've never seen a child turn away an adult that wants to play, especially if mommy or daddy say it's ok. Second have them burn some of that excited energy off. Tell them to run to a certain point and see how fast they can run back. It makes for cute opportunities because they'll typically laugh and smile. The last tip I'll give is to relax and take a break. Let the child be for a little while. Maybe you want to take the opportunity to take candids at this point or just observe them for a few minutes.

Any way you look at it, the child will dictate the tone and pace of the shoot. The beauty of these tips are that they works just as well for taking pictures of your own kids as well as those of your friends and families.

- Tony Llerena Photography