Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Patience: Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything

Miyagi: Man who catch fly with chopstick accomplish anything.
Daniel: Ever catch one?
Miyagi: Not yet.

So I haven't blogged in a while since I've been back because I've been trying to catch up with life and family. There are a few travel photography tips that I've been meaning to share. I'll be posting about a couple of tips and techniques that I used on my trip to Japan and how they helped me to create the best possible images given the opportunities that were afforded to me.

The first tip is have patience. Benjamin Franklin once said that "He that can have patience can have what he will." There are photographers that have waited 12 years to get the perfect shot. Scott Bourne had a specific image in mind when he created "Cranes in the Fire Mist." I'm certainly not suggesting that anyone wait that long to take a picture but I will suggest that you wait a couple of minutes for the other tourists and sightseers to leave the scene so you can get a pure shot of the monument or site you are visiting. The shot above was taken along the Philosopher's Walk in Kyoto. There were many other people around and I do have some shots with folks looking at the shrine. What I noticed is that I was standing in between two groups of tourists and if I waited for the right time, the first group would move on before the next group could make it into the shot. I would only get about 45 seconds of this unobstructed view so I was patient and waited for the opportunity.


Patience applies to all forms of photography. Whether it's shooting wildlife, sunsets, children or weddings, patience can be the difference between a good shot and a great shot.

~Tony Llerena Photography~