Saturday, May 14, 2011

The day that will forever be known as Japan Eve... or at least until I actually leave

So all of the months of anticipation and planning will come to a head in the next 24 hours. For those of you that I've spoken to, you are aware of the cancellation of the trip and the eventual reinstatement. The earthquake and ensuing tsunami changed the world (literally) and cost many thousands of lives.

I consider myself fortunate that we have regained the opportunity to go on this once in a lifetime trip so soon after such a devastating event and when emotions and nerves are probably still very raw. My hope is that our group will honor the people of Japan and represent the University of Maine as best we can and have an epic time doing so. I will miss my family, work (a little) and all of the creature comforts that my life has afforded me.  I take solace and am humbled by the fact that I am going on a trip that many can only dream of taking and may never be afforded the opportunity. For this I am thankful.

See you in Tokyo.

JETJNB - DLY