Thursday, February 10, 2011

Would I hire me?

For those of you that want the short version, the answer is Yes.

Everyone else that would like to know why may continue reading.

Seeing as how I still consider myself a rookie at the professional side of photography, the question that you initially ask yourself is who wants to buy MY pictures? It's quite an obstacle getting over as this has more to do with confidence than reality. Once you get over the fear of being judged on something that you love and are passionate about comes the question of how much you should charge. Some people interpret this as how much am I worth or how much are people willing to pay but I would like to share my philosophy on business and pricing.
Is that a tripod sticking out of your back?
My entire approach to Tony Llerena Photography has been founded on three fundamental principles.

1. Quality - As my wife would gladly tell you, I love buying the absolute best equipment available. I shoot exclusively with professional level cameras and lenses. I make every effort to educate myself on the best techniques to process images and produce stunning final products. I shoot every session as if it were for my own family because I know these images will last a lifetime.

I've been photographing now for over 10 years and I can still look at an image and know exactly where I was and what was going on that day. Photography is the art of capturing light but for me it's a moment in time in someone's history. After having 3 children and watching them grow so fast, I know that youth is fleeting. This is why I truly believe you get what you pay for and why I don't skimp.

I have to pay HOW much just for one picture?
2. Fair and Reasonable - This brings me to my second principle of being fair and reasonable. I know how tough finances can be for a family. Both my wife and I are students working through school and balancing the checkbook can sometimes be challenging. From what I've seen, my prices are the lowest in the area for the quality of work. This may upset other photographers who may accuse me of undercutting them but I challenge that.

My goal is to be fair and reasonable with my pricing so that you get great memories at a reasonable investment and I feel I've achieved that. I certainly can't compete with the studios in the big box stores but have you ever really looked at what you actually get for the price? Often time you have to pay $100 for a cd with ONE image. I always include all of the images from the session. Not to mention that I shoot on location and in the environment of your choice.

3. Fun - If there's one thing I say at just about every shoot is "if it's not fun, I'm not doing it anymore." I chose photography because I love doing it and I feel that the camera looks both ways. My subject's expression is a reflection of me. Go ahead, take a look at my images. You see all of those people laughing and smiling? That was no accident. I can safely say that I have a great time when I shoot and there's nothing I would rather be doing.

So, why would I hire me? Because I produce high quality, reasonably priced, fun memories. That's why!

~Tony Llerena~