Friday, April 8, 2011

Just shoot it! Five reasons to go outside right now with your camera.


So I had a busy week and I'm feeling a little burnt out, right? Who hasn't felt like that? It's Friday, Friday and I get home and I need to unwind. After hugs and kisses from the family, I need a fix. Here's why I go out to shoot even if it's just around your house :

  1. Therapy - Photography for me is very theraputic. Whenever I get a great shot, I get a rush of endorphins from a sense of accomplishment. I literally feel happy. (Yes, I know the difference between literal and figurative) 
  2. Practice - Like any skill, photography is something that you need to work at to get better. Having trouble nailing that focus while at that event? How about getting the right exposure at that picnic? No? Then why don't you take the time to develop those skills when you don't have to annoy people trying to figure out why the image came out so dark when they're back lit.
  3. Experimentation - For me, one of the more daunting things to remember is how to gauge how far my minimum focusing distance for each of my lenses. This is the time where I can try to push each lens to the limit and develop some depth perception memory so I can take better shots more quickly. Most SLRs will not fire when autofocus is on if it can't get focus so knowing how far is just far enough can make the difference between getting the shot or cursing.
  4. Learn how your camera sees - Depending on the focal length you choose, your image can look entirely different. Try shooting something at 200mm and then try shooting the same object at 18mm. Is there a difference? Neither is right or wrong, they are artistic choices that you need to make when creating an image.
  5. Think different - I try shooting objects and subjects that others would probably walk right by on a photo walk. One of the challenges that I'll give myself is "how do I make this ordinary object interesting?" I'm always amazed at the creativity that I come across on other photographers' pages. They make Legos come alive and the real seem surreal. Each one of us sees the world in our own unique way. How can I show you what I see?
In summary, these are a few of the things that I try to do on a regular basis to try to improve. What are you doing?