Saturday, March 19, 2011

Take a hike!

I know how difficult it can be to take beautiful images while on vacation at a location you've never been to before and may never visit again. These "once in a lifetime" opportunities can be pressure to get  a good shot once and forever. I had the great fortune of visiting Greece a couple of years ago when I was really starting to get into photography and learning the fundamentals of a good image. I've read that the first time you visit a location, it's alright to leave the camera behind or to take the standard tourist snapshots. But what if your first time is your only time? Well, the best tip I can give you is to have patience.

We visited the Parthenon towards the end of our trip. There are three words that I can use to describe the visit: magnificent, hot, crowded. I stood before one of the seven wonders of the world and it's almost incomprehensible to think that this structure was built in 432 BC and is still standing. Everyone, and I mean everyone is taking the same exact picture with hundreds of tourists in the foreground. How do I create an image where it looks like I'm the only one there? I wait. Even heavy traffic gets a break at some point. This was probably the only 1/2000th of a moment that no one was standing between me and the ancient temple and I'm glad I remembered to take the lens cap off! :)

The next site we visited was King Leonidas' memorial site at Thermopylae. I had recently seen the movie 300 so I was particularly interested in visiting the ancient battle ground. Again, there were quite a few tourists there so I might have to wait again to get the shot. But wait, what's this? There are quite a few power lines running right behind the monument! Boy do those stand out and look ugly.

Trying to photoshop them out later would be a nightmare since they run the length of the image, not to mention the gradiation of the sky would make it near impossible to make it look natural. So what do I do? I walk around to see if there's another angle. I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to go behind the monument because there are shrubs lining the back of it. Oh well, I decided to take a gander anyway and lo and behold I found a great angle where there weren't any unsightly objects. Turns out that this image of King Leonidas' monument is one of my favorite travel photographs to this day.

The next time you're in Greece or any other exotic location remember these two tips at any popular tourist attraction:

  1. Be patient and wait for your shot. People will eventually move out of the way.
  2. Walk around and don't take the same shot everyone else is taking. You may end up being the one that knows something that no one else knows.